Thursday, June 24, 2010

Going to McDonalds doesn't make you a hamburger...but having a relationship with Christ saves your life...


Earlier today I found myself praying and asking the Lord to provide me with an opportunity to truly share my heart with someone and to let my faith shine through. Dont get me wrong, I absolutely adore working with my kids everyday but sometimes I wonder if I am really making a difference. Do they really see my heart for Christ and understand my faith...or am I just someone who jumps around with them and gives them lots of love. This had been weighing on my heart and I was just so eager for the opportunity to share my faith and testimony with someone who was thirsty for the spirit. And all I have to say is that the Lord provides in mysterious ways...

So I was just laying in my bed and watching Felicity on my computer, when Anna knocks on the door and was like "Hey you want to come to McDonalds with me? I heard you wanted a McFlurry". Obviously I wasn't going to turn down the opportunity for a McFlurry so I jump out of bed, throw on a jacket and we walked out the door. We get to McDonalds and for some reason decide to go in rather than just go through the drive through. Now remember I just jumped out of bed and clearly had no intentions of seeing anyone so I would like you to picture me at my finest...my madusa hair, a poofy flannel lined jacket, my grateful dead shirt, leggings and furry balet house slippers. Clearly I am lookin real good.

We go up to the counter and order and there are 2 ladies behind the counter as well as the manager. Im standing there talking to a random man about hunting (typical) and I over hear the manager, Ricardo, talking to Anna because he had just asked her if we were missionaries. So I drop my hunting conversation and go over to Ricardo and start talking. He then says something that sent chills up my spine, "If you were to convert these women to Christianity, what would you tell them?". I think my heart skipped a beat because I wasn't sure if this was a trick or if he really did want to know what we would say. He then said that he was a Christian, so I knew it wasn't any kind of trick. The next thing I know I am sharing my testimony with the lady behind the counter, Mandesa. I told about how I had grown up a Christian and always going to church, but that I didn't feel like I started living the life of a Christian until High School. At least I don't think I truly understood what it meant to lead the life of a Christian until I got older. I had simply been proclaiming the words of Christ with my mouth, but often times denying what I said simply through my actions. And also more simply the fact that I am NOTHING without Christ in my life, and that he is the reason why I wake up every morning with hope for the day. That he is always by my side and with that I am comforted and not scared for the future. She found this interesting. I also went into talking about how being Christian does not have anything to do with perfection. We are not perfect and will never be, we live in a sinful world so therefore we are filled with sin. But with the Lord in our hearts, we can become clean, and our pasts will no longer weigh us down and we will have hope for the future. Its not about "if" trials will come but its about "when" and when they do come, the only way we can stand strong is if the Lord is right there beside us pulling us through. Just as Isaiah 43:2 says, "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze." I just continued to speak to Ricardo and Mandesa about my faith and the craziest part was that I felt like I had no control of my words and that it was the Holy Spirit speaking through me. Ricardo told me how much of a blessing we were for simply coming in, and how my words blessed him. How my comments on perfection touched his life and that he was going to share my "wisdom". Never in my wildest dreams could I have ever imagined this happening...I mean its not the easiest thing to just share your testimony with someone and for some reason tonight it just seemed so natural to share. I could see the hunger for the spirt in Mandesa's eyes and while I was talking she continued to ooh and ahh, so I knew the words were going to her heart. There were smiles on both of our faces at this point, and before we started talking there was nothing close to a smile on her face. That in itself was simply amazing. I finished talking and told her that I would be praying for her, and next thing I know, she gives me a piece of paper with her name and phone number on it. I know have a new friend at the McDonalds and I promised her that I would be back to visit and talk with her...not only because I want to come back and visit and pour into her, but also because she asked me to come back.

The Lord works in mysterious and amazing ways. So many times I think we try to run from the Lord, but in reality we cant ever get away because he is right behind us chasing us...So call on the lord, he is ALWAYS there and he ALWAYS provides.

xoxo
H

Please pray for Mandesa and her heart, that it may be softened and opened to the Lord. Also pray for Ricardo and his heart and that he may continue to serve the Lord through his willingness to talk about Christianity in McDonalds.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my sweet girl, what an amazing journey. Your Daddy dropped by last nite to visit while your Mom is in TN.and I was reading and crying and he was very touched too. I am just so proud of you and so in awe of your conviction and faith at so young an age. I only can pray that my children will someday soon bring God closer into their hearts and open their lives to his wonders and miracles....You are making a difference,,, hugs and loves Pager xoxo

    ReplyDelete